Thursday, May 23, 2013

Vegetable and Cheddar Soup

Soup - the fail safe backup for any moment of hunger!  On a recent (and not very thorough!) health kick, I have been making even more soups than usual so that there is always some in the house to eat at that moment when you walk in the door from work and hunger calls.  These are the times I am most vulnerable to reach for the sweets or chocolate for a quick fix but, obviously, a cup of steaming hot home made soup is infinitely more healthy and actually fills you up better as well.  This one was thrown together this morning based on what I had in the fridge and freezer so feel free to adapt it in your house based on the same principles.  And if I am going to mention soup I do have to point out that no one, and I mean no one, will ever ever be able to match the soup my Mum makes.  Always either lentil and bacon or potato and leek - nothing says home to me like a big bowl of it!


2 carrots
1 onion
2 teaspoons of chopped ginger
1 clove of garlic (chopped, crushed - whatever you want!)
1 potato (I don't bother peeling it)
1 stick of celery
8 (approximately) florets of broccoli (I always have some frozen broccoli in the house)
1 litre (or so) of stock
Dried mixed herbs
Salt & pepper
50 grams of cheddar cheese

Chop all the vegetable and add them to a large pan with the stock and seasoning to your taste.

Bring to the boil then simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or so, until the vegetables are soft.

Liquidise then mix in the grated cheese and adjust seasoning as you wish.

2 comments: