Saturday, December 7, 2013

Cinnamon French Toast with Bacon and Maple Syrup


Following a recent brunch date with my best friend, QJ - I was inspired to create what we ate at home.  The place where we ate was a fabulous restaurant in Edinburgh called Mimi's bakehouse which serves the most amazing food.  The platefuls QJ and I had were enormous, two huge wedges of french toast with several rashers of salty bacon and swimming in maple syrup - it was first class food and company!

So here is my homemade version and it holds up not too bad against the original.  This is very easy and really enhances a lazy weekend morning.

I have to dedicate this one to QJ - my long time partner in food, drink and devotion to teen book/film sagas....!


4 tablespoons of butter
3 eggs
A splash of milk
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
4 slices of bread
4 rashers of grilled bacon
Maple syrup to serve 

Heat two tablespoons of butter in a large frying pan.

Mix the eggs, milk and cinnamon on a plate and dip the bread in it then put it in the frying pan (you should be able to do 2 at a time).

Once the bread is golden and crispy put it on a plate with the bacon rashers on top and maple syrup poured over.

If you want an alternative french toast recipe, try it with cherry basil compote.

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely combination of ingredients. I shall try this for my breakfast over the weekend. Thanks for sharing. Have a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz, thanks for your comment. this is an excellent weekend brunch. I am planning to have it today but I have some sweet bread I am going to use for the french toast, yummy! Let me know how you get on if you try this one. All the best x

    ReplyDelete
  3. french toast is my FAVOURITE, and you can never go wrong with anything when you add bacon & maple syrup :) the perfect brunch food for sure. great post!
    the hobbit kitchen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Holly. I quite agree about adding bacon and maple syrup to anything! Let me know how you get on if you try this one.

      Delete