Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Twilight Chef review - 2013

So 2013 draws to a close.  This has been my first year as a blogger and I have loved it, spreading the word of how much I love to cook and eat is an absolute pleasure and thanks to everyone who has visited my blog.

2013 has been a year of mixed emotions, in fact (at the risk of being over-dramatic) 2013 has undoubtedly been the worst year of my life up to now due to the fact that I lost my Mum.  She was my constant rock and every day without her continues to be a struggle.  I realised as I got into my blog, how many of my recipes are inspired by Mum who was a fantastic cook and baker.  I will never ever be able to emulate her homemade bread, potato and leek soup, country pork casserole, trifle or chestnut stuffing or countless others, but as long as there is breath in my body I will continue to try to be a cook and a person that she would be proud of.

Some of the recipes on my blog which specifically come from Mum's legacy include:














There are so many more though and many more to come as I continue my food blogging journey.


Where there is darkness though, there is always light and some of my highlights of 2013 have included:

The discovery of HBO's 'The Wire'...also known as 'The Best Programme Ever Made....Ever'

The more recent but nonetheless as earth shattering discovery of 'Breaking Bad', not quite worthy of the top spot but definitely top 5 programme material

The discovery of 'The Mortal Instruments'series by Cassandra Clare - just when I thought no one would ever touch my devotion for Edward and Jacob (come on, you hadn't worked it out from the blog title!?) along came Jace.....I HIGHLY recommend these books

Another book I read which had a major impact was 'Born to Run' by Christopher McDougall - a great book which gave me a much needed kick up the backside to stick in with, and more importantly, enjoy my running.

One of Scotland's proudest moments when Andy Murray won Wimbledon, although tinged with the sadness that my Mum, who was a massive Wimbledon fan, did not live to see this historic moment

And finally, I am pleased to say that the year is ending on a high as the Twilight Chef is moving premises to a beautiful big house (with a fantastic kitchen).  This will be the first home my husband and I will own and it is a great way to end the most difficult of years

So, let's talk food, my personal blogging highlights of 2013 include:



Aubergine and Blue Cheese Salad (my first post!)









I hope to continue to create recipes which my family, friends and fellow bloggers enjoy.

On to others, my top 3 blogs from 2013 are:

3. The English Kitchen
2. Sips and Spoonfuls

And my absolute favourite.......:

1. The Black Cat Kitchen

A special thank you to Claire for her great recipes and pictures.  There are many other great blogs out there and one of the things I have loved about starting my blog is becoming part of the blogging community, I hope this will only expand in 2014.

I don't really have any New Year's resolutions but my husband and I, along with my sister and brother in law are doing a 10 month challenge where we give something up every month except your birthday month and December (why make life difficult for yourself!?).  So this month, we are giving up crisps, which won't actually be too bad but look out for how I get on in the chocolate month or (horror of horrors) the alcohol month....!!

So, to sum up, I am glad to put 2013 behind me and every day I have to continue to remember that out of the darkness there will be light and every day is a step forward in accepting the most painful of losses.

I wish all my fellow bloggers and readers a happy new year and good wishes for 2014.

My blog will continue to be a celebration of the legacy of cooks I come from, my Mum and both my sisters. I will continue to be inspired every day by Mum, the bravest woman I will ever know and my constant inspiration, both in and out of the kitchen.

4 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely post! So moving, I just can't imagine life without my Mum so my heart goes out to you! It's so lovely that you have her legacy right there in your cooking and that's something you will never loose :-) Thank you so much for your mention! It makes my day to know there's people out who enjoy my vague ramblings haha! You have a lovely blog, looking forward to reading more in 2014.
    PS also on the slightly addicted to Breaking Bad band wagon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Claire - I am glad you liked the post and that is lovely to hear how much you value your Mum, just remember to try to tell her that as much as you can. Also delighted to hear you are a fellow Breaking Bad addict, I finished it last night and feel a bit lost now!!! Hope you have had a lovely Christmas and all the best for 2014. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. (((((hugs))))) I am very blessed in that my mom is still with us, although we have come close to losing her a few times in the past year. I treasure every moment. I always enjoy reading these year end posts that people write. And I have to say I am honored to have been included in yours. Truly. I do not always comment, but I do always read. I am looking forward to all of your posts in 2014 and I wish you good luck on the "giving up" of things. Not sure I could do the crisps and chocolate myself! Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marie-I am sending good thoughts to you and your mum for 2014. xx

    ReplyDelete